Priority Deadline Date for Applications is December 15, 2018
Applying to this program is a two-step process as detailed below
STEP 1: Apply to the University
1) Submit the CSU application using the Cal State Apply online application along with the $55 fee. To apply, enter Cal State Apply online. Click "Apply Online," then "Graduate Admission Application," then the box for "Fall (current year)." Log in. (Create an account and password, if necessary.) Select "San Diego State University Graduate," then (at bottom) "Start Application for San Diego State University." Select appropriate semester/year and "San Diego campus." Under "Major/Program objective," select "Evolutionary Biology (PhD)." Continue with application.
Applications for entry in Fall 2019 will be available on-line on October 1st 2018; priority will be given to those applying by December 15, 2018. After applying to the CSU, you will receive an e-mail with instructions for obtaining a Red ID Number. This number will enable you to track your application status online through the Web Portal system and will enable the Department to create and monitor your application file.
NOTE: Only after you have applied through Cal State Apply online and received your Red I.D., should you send official transcripts and other documents. Sending transcripts and other materials before submitting your Cal State Apply online application can result in processing delays.
2) Submit one set of original and official transcripts of all previous academic work attempted to Graduate Admissions.
You must submit one set of official transcripts in sealed envelopes from each issuing institution. This would include all degree transcripts and a transcript from the last institution attended. Your transcripts must reflect the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted.
Students with international coursework must submit all official transcripts and proof of degree(s) obtained. If certificates and transcripts are not in English, they should be accompanied by certified English transcriptions. International students should also refer to Admissions Procedures for International Students website for additional instructions and requirements.
NOTE: Please do not send extraneous items such as certificates and awards as they are unnecessary. If these items are sent, they could result in processing delays.
Send transcripts to:
Graduate Admissions/Enrollment Services
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego CA 92182-7416
3) You must also send official GRE results forwarded by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The general GRE is required. The SDSU Add/Institution Code is 4682. You do not need to add a department code. Please note: The Subject GRE is recommended but not required, only the General GRE test is required.
When you apply to the University (Step 1 above), please request that the Educational Testing Services (ETS) report your scores directly to SDSU. Our institution code is 4682. When you submit supplemental application materials to the Biology Department (Step 2 below), you may also enclose a copy of your test scores, which could help expedite the completion of your application file.
4) In addition to the general GRE test, foreign students must also submit TOEFL scores. TOEFL test scores are required if Postsecondary instruction is in a language other than English. NOTE: Students who have received a degree at an institution/university in the United States do not need to submit TOEFL scores.
TOEFL requirements for foreign students are as follows:
T-IBT = TOEFL Internet-based test (minimum 80 required)
T-CBT = TOEFL computer-based test (minimum of 213 required)
T-PBT = TOEFL paper-based test (minimum of 550 required)
NOTE: TOEFL scores expire after two years.
Foreign students will also need to submit a financial support document (go to SDSU International Student Center web page). The following paragraph can be included in your financial document:
"Annual stipends (currently $20,000 per year) are provided for all joint Ph.D. students, as is the full cost of tuition. Students receive a complete health benefit package."
STEP 2: Submit Supplemental Application Materials On-Line
In addition to the CSU application applicants must submit the following materials online at:
1) Resume or Curriculum Vitae
2) Statement of Research Goals - You should indicate links between your research interests and those of faculty in the department (SDSU and UCR) as well as with other research in the field, where appropriate. You should also provide the name(s) of one SDSU Evolutionary Biology faculty member who would serve as a suitable program advisor. You are encouraged to contact potential faculty advisors in advance of submitting your application to discuss your research interests and potential fit with areas of expertise.
3) Personal History Statement- This statement should reflect influences that have shaped you as a person and your life. There may be some cross-over between the Personal History Statement and the Statement of Research Goals. You should indicate any other personal information in support of your application (e.g. economic or personal hardships).
4) Three letters recommendation -Applicant must provide names and email addresses for recommenders will be requested to complete the recommendation electronically.
5) Photocopy of ETS scorecard containing GRE and /or TOEFL scores.
6) Unofficial transcripts from each institution attended, in order to expedite the review process.
Review of submitted applications will commence in early January 2019 and will continue until positions are filled. In order to ensure consideration, you must submit the CSU application by December 15.
STEP 3: Tracking Application Status:
Use your Red I.D. number to track the status of your application online. You will be able to monitor when materials have been received and view a list of materials that are still required in order to complete your application file. Please bear in mind that we receive thousands of applications so it may take some time for the information to be added to the WebPortal System.
Other helpful information may be obtained at the following SDSU links:
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
International Student Center
Get PDF Reader