SDSU/UCSD CMB Ph.D. GRADUATION CHECKLIST
- Additional information can be found on the SDSU Graduate and Research Affairs website Doctoral Programs - Procedural Steps (NOTE - SDSU will now only accept the dissertation electronically)
- Write dissertation according to UCSD formatting guidelines, not SDSU. The file is called the Preparation and Submission Manual for Doctoral Dissertations and Master’s Theses “Bluebook”. This can be downloaded as a PDF from the UCSD OGS website http://ogs.ucsd.edu/
- Register for BIOL 899 at SDSU for the semester you are graduating (if you register in Summer you will have to pay for credits out of pocket)
- Receive permission from coauthors, journal and Dean at UCSD (Dr. Kim Barrett) to use published material in the dissertation – directions for this are in the UCSD “Bluebook”. Faxed permission signatures are acceptable.
- Make preliminary appointment with OGS at UCSD. This can be done either prior to or after the defense date. These can be scheduled through the UCSD OGS website http://ogs.ucsd.edu/
- If you have any questions about formatting or style, contact Dr. Norienne Saign at 858-534-3709 or email@example.com
- For Preliminary Appointment with OGS at UCSD:
- Bring a printed copy of your completed formatted dissertation on any paper. Dr. Saign (or proxy) will look it over and fill out the Dissertation Preliminary Check List and give you a list of what to bring to the final appointment (including Survey of Earned Doctorates).
- No money is needed unless you are copyrighting the dissertation
- Pickup Degree and Diploma Application from Marifel Alfaro at UCSD. She is located at the Biology Graduate Student Affairs, Room 1028 B Pacific Hall (858) 534-0181 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pick up General Petition if filing between academic quarters. You will be informed if this petition is needed when you contact Cathy Pugh for the Degree and Diploma Application.
- Submit dissertation to committee at least two weeks prior to the defense date.
- Defend the dissertation and have committee sign the JDP5 form and the original signature page (page iii from dissertation – black or blue ink only for both on any kind of paper)
- Obtain signatures of the SDSU Graduate Adviser Dr.Ricardo Zayas and the UCSD Department/Group Chair Dr. Joe Pogliano.
- Modify the dissertation based on the committee’s suggestions.
- Make sure all corrections have been made from the first appointment with OGS as noted on the Dissertation Preliminary Check List.
- For Final Appointment with OGS at UCSD:
- Make sure you have no outstanding debts, library books, etc.
- Submit your dissertation electronically 1 day before your final appointment at http://www.etdadmin.com. Do NOT scan the signed signature page into the PDF of your dissertation, simply use the formatted but blank (unsigned) signature page.
- Bring all forms designated from preliminary appointment (3 copies of abstract, original signature page and two copies, original JDP5 form, Degree and Diploma Application, OGS survey confirmation page, and Survey of Earned Doctorates – all copies can be on any kind of paper for both UCSD and SDSU)
- Return to SDSU Graduate and Research Affairs with copy of title page, copy of Survey of Earned Doctorates, copy of signature page, and the original JDP5 form (if you have any questions contact Rita Bauman at 619-594-1504 or email@example.com)
- Obtain Clearance sheet from SDSU Graduate and Research Affairs
- Immediately afterwards, take dissertation (on flash drive), a copy of the signature page and clearance sheet to Montezuma Publishing and pay to submit electronically.