Current Research Projects
Recent Research Projects
Landscape Simulation Modeling of Fire and Succession in Southern California
The Effect of Land Management on Fire Regimes and Landscape-Scale Vegetation Patterns in the Transverse and Peninsular Mountain Ranges of Southern California (National Science Foundation Geography and Regional Science Program Award 9818665, 1999-2003)
- Franklin, J, A. D. Syphard, H. He and D. Mladenoff, 2005, The effects of altered fire regimes on patterns of plant succession in the foothills and mountains of southern California, Ecosystems vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 885-898.
- Akçakaya, H. Resit, Janet Franklin, Alexandra D. Syphard, and John Stephenson, 2005, Viability of Bell's Sage Sparrow (Amphispiza belli ssp. belli) under altered fire regimes, Ecological Applications vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 521-531.
- Franklin, J., C. Coulter and S. J. Rey, 2004, Change over 70 years in a southern California chaparral community related to fire history, Journal of Vegetation Science vol. 15, no. 15, pp. 701-710.
- Franklin, J., 2003, Clustering versus regression trees for determining Ecological Land Units in the southern California mountains and foothills, Forest Science, Special Issue on Forestry Remote Sensing, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 354-368.
- Franklin, J., 2002, Enhancing a regional vegetation map with predictive models of dominant plant species in chaparral, Applied Vegetation Science vol. 5, pp. 135-146.
- Franklin, J., A. D. Syphard, R. P. Martin, D. J. Mladenoff, H. S. He, D. K. Simons, D. Deutschman, and J. F. OLeary, 2001, Simulating the effects of different fire regimes on plant functional groups in Southern California, Ecological Modelling vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 261-283.
Long-term impacts of frequent fire and urbanization on native vegetation in California mediterranean-type shrublands: an integrated simulation modeling strategy (NASA Earth System Science Graduate Student Doctoral Fellowship to Alexandra Syphard)
- Syphard, Alexandra D., Keith Clarke and Janet Franklin, 2005, Using a cellular automaton model to forecast the effects of urban growth on habitat pattern in southern California, Ecological Complexity vol. 2, pp. 185-203.
- Syphard, A. D. and J. Franklin, 2004. Spatial aggregation effects on the simulation of landscape pattern and ecological processes in southern California plant communities, Ecological Modelling vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 21-40. Special Issue.